Hello parents and players:
We are excited about the upcoming year and we hope you share our excitement. We believe that basketball should be competitive and fun. It allows players the opportunity to learn more about themselves and how to deal with adversity. We believe that parents should positively support the players and that players should give their best effort in their every endeavor. High school sports are a very time consuming activity and it takes a great commitment to become a dominant program. To ensure that we can best serve your daughter, we have the following guidelines that we ask each player, coach and parent to follow:
1. Players, coaches, and parents will show respect to the opposing player, opposing school, opposing fans and the referees. An inability to do so will result in a dismissal from the program.
2. Students must remain academically eligible and must not be a disturbance in any of her classes. If a player needs to make up an assignment in any class, she must first attempt to make it up during non-practice times. It is not okay to miss practice for an assignment when it could have been made up during another time. If a player is causing distractions in class, it will result in extra conditioning, loss of playing time, or removal from the team.
3. Players will arrive at practice a minimum of 10 minutes before every practice. Freshmen players need to arrive at home games 45 minutes before the start of the game. JV players needs to arrive before the start of halftime of each home freshmen game, which will usually begin at 4:45 PM. Varsity players need to arrive before the start of halftime of each home JV game, which will usually being at 6:30 PM. Parents must provide transportation to away games. If a player is late, it will result in loss of playing time, or removal from the team.
4. If a player is unable to be at a practice or a game, it is her responsibility to let the coach know. It is not okay to have another player tell the coach for you.
5. Players will dress appropriately for practice (i.e. Practice jersey, practice shorts, shoes and socks). Players will always wear a jacket or sweatshirt to and from the gym. They will also wear a different pair of shoes outside the gym than they wear to practice in. Players will also not be allowed to wear any jewelry during a game or practice.
6. If a player is sick or hurt, she still needs to be at practice supporting their teammates and learning new offenses or defenses that may be put in. If they are too sick to get out of bed, then it is their responsibility to let the coach know.
7. Players will dress the way the team and coaches decide to dress on game days. If the team decides to dress-up, every player will dress-up. If the team decides to wear the team warm-ups, every player will wear the team warm-ups.
8. A player or parent may talk to they coaches about their daughter or their daughter’s improvement in basketball. He or she may not discuss with a coach another player’s abilities, another player’s playing time, or coaching strategies. We want parents to be involved in the program in a positive way in which they are supportive of the players, opposition, and referees. If a parent wants to discuss their daughter’s playing time with a coach, they must wait to address it the next day before or after practice. The player also needs to first address the issue with the coach before the parent.
9. Players must always be supportive of their teammates.
10. Players will not use any profanity during games or practices.
11. Attendance at practice is mandatory. All players must follow the attendance policy set forth by the Whitney High school athletic Department.
By following these guidelines, we believe that Whitney High School can become one of the premier basketball programs in the area. We ask for your support to these guidelines during the upcoming year. Thank you.
Coach Carter Coach Gatson Coach Federico
Coach Meyer Coach McCullough Coach Forsman
Player Name: ________________ Player Signature: ___________________
Guardian Name: _____________ Guardian Signature: _________________